© Crown copyright 2018
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/introducing-govuk-verify/introducing-govuk-verify
GOV.UK Verify overview
GOV.UK Verify is a secure way to prove who you are online.
It makes it safe, quick and easy to access government services like filing your tax or checking the information on your driving licence.
When you use GOV.UK Verify, you don’t need to prove your identity in person or wait for something to arrive in the post.
Who can use GOV.UK Verify
You need to have a UK address to use GOV.UK Verify. You don’t have to be a UK citizen.
How long it takes to verify your identity
It normally takes between 5 and 15 minutes to verify your identity the first time you use GOV.UK Verify. For some people, it may take longer. Any time after that, it should only take a couple of minutes to sign in.
Companies that can verify your identity
When you use GOV.UK Verify to access a government service, you choose from a list of companies that the government has approved to verify your identity.
These certified companies (also known as partner companies) are:
Information you need to provide
The company you choose to verify your identity will ask you for some personal details. They’ll check those details against records held by mobile phone providers, credit agencies, HM Passport Office or the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
The company can then confirm your identity to the government service you’re using, for example the service you use to sign in and file your Self Assessment tax return if you’re submitting your tax return to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
These checks won’t affect your credit score.
Each certified company has different ways of verifying your identity.
How it’s safe
Using GOV.UK Verify is safe because:
- information isn’t stored in one place
- there’s no unnecessary sharing of information
- the certified company you choose doesn’t know which service you’re using
- the government department doesn’t know which certified company you’ve chosen
- all the certified companies have to meet government and international standards for security and data protection
Government services you can use with GOV.UK Verify
You can use GOV.UK Verify for:
- Apply for Universal Credit, with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Check or update your company car tax (HMRC)
- Update your rural payments details, with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
Driving and transport
- Apply for a vehicle operator licence, with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
- Report a medical condition that affects your driving, with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
- Renew your short-term medical driving licence (DVLA)
- View or share your driving licence information (DVLA)
Money and tax
- Check your Income Tax for the current year, with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
- Claim for redundancy and monies owed, with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
- Sign in and file your Self Assessment tax return (HMRC)
- Help friends or family with their tax (HMRC)
- Sign in to your personal tax account (HMRC)
Working, jobs and pensions
Government services you’ll be able to use with GOV.UK Verify soon
More services are connecting to GOV.UK Verify all the time. Government services that you’ll be able to use with Verify soon include:
- Sign your mortgage deed (HM Land Registry)
- Digital driving licence (DVLA)
These services aren’t open to everyone yet because they’re still in private beta.
How to sign up to GOV.UK Verify
To use Verify, you need to:
- Start using one of the government services that uses GOV.UK Verify.
- Verify your identity with a certified company.
After you’ve set up an identity account with a certified company, you can use it with any government service that uses GOV.UK Verify.
You can’t create a GOV.UK Verify account outside this process.
How to get help signing in
All certified companies provide user support:
- Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 10:00pm (GMT)
- Saturday and Sunday from 8:00am to 5:00pm (GMT)
Telephone: 0333 202 7479 (English) or 0333 202 7450 (Welsh)
Telephone: 0333 566 8000
Telephone: 0330 60 60 732
Telephone: 0344 481 8192
The Post Office
Telephone: 0330 60 60 733
Telephone: 0345 266 0116
Telephone: 0330 100 0103
GOV.UK Verify user support
Use the GOV.UK Verify user support form to get help and give feedback on GOV.UK Verify. The support team aims to respond to questions in 5 working days.
How to connect a service to GOV.UK Verify
If you’re a government service, find out how to connect your service to GOV.UK Verify.
Who works on GOV.UK Verify
GOV.UK Verify engages with public and private sector organisations through the Open Identity Exchange (OIX).
Your feedback helps improve the service.