Help friends or family with their tax

Register online as a ‘trusted helper’ to help a friend or relative:

  • check they’re paying the right amount of Income Tax
  • check or update their personal tax account
  • check or update their taxable benefits (company cars or medical insurance only)

The person you’re helping must then use the service to accept your registration. If they cannot go online, you may be able to call HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) on their behalf.

You can be a trusted helper for up to 5 people.

The person you’re helping will still be legally responsible for their own tax.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

To use this service, you’ll need to prove your identity using Government Gateway. You’ll be able to register for Government Gateway if you have not used it before.

Start now

Call HMRC on someone else’s behalf

If the person you’re helping cannot go online, you can call HMRC on their behalf and talk to them about any tax issue.

You must be in the same room as the person you’re helping. HMRC will confirm their identity and check that they’re happy for you to represent them.

You must have their National Insurance number or tax reference number when you call.

You must be over 16 if you’re interpreting for a non-English speaker. HMRC’s helplines also have foreign language services.

Read guidance on HMRC services if you or the person you’re helping has a disability.