1. Overview

You can get help dealing with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you have additional needs, for example if:

Get help in person

You should call HMRC first using the relevant contact number. Tell the adviser if you need to arrange a visit to your home or meet somewhere nearby.

You can get face-to-face help if you find it difficult to use a telephone (for example because you’re deaf).

HMRC’s local tax offices are no longer available.

Appoint someone to deal with HMRC for you

If you find it difficult to deal with HMRC yourself, you can appoint someone to do it for you. This can be a friend, relative or an adviser from a voluntary organisation.