Self Assessment: general enquiries


If you've already contacted HMRC, find out when you should receive a reply

Ask HMRC online

Ask HMRC’s digital assistant to find information about Self Assessment. If the digital assistant cannot help you, you can ask to transfer to an HMRC adviser if they’re available.

Find out more about Self Assessment tax returns

This guidance covers:

  • how to register
  • filing your return
  • paying your bill

You can also find information such as your Unique Taxpayer Reference, employment history or PAYE tax records in:

If HMRC needs to contact you about anything confidential they’ll reply by phone or post.

Tell HMRC about a change to your personal details

You can also watch videos and join webinars for help with Self Assessment.


You can use Twitter to get general help from HMRC. We cannot discuss specific cases or an individual’s tax affairs, so please do not give any personal details.

Start your tweet with @HMRCcustomers

Twitter opening times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm

Closed on Sundays and bank holidays.


Call HMRC for advice if you complete a Self Assessment tax return.

Problems using HMRC’s online services

Contact HMRC’s online services helpdesk if you:

  • have problems submitting your tax return online
  • have lost your online service user name or password
  • get any error messages in your online account or on HMRC forms

Before you call

If you have a National Insurance number and Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference have them with you.

This helpline uses speech recognition software, so you will be asked why you are calling HMRC. If you cannot use speech recognition software, find out how to get help from HMRC if you need extra support.

This helpline may also ask you some security questions. Make sure your personal details and address are up to date in your personal tax account or you could fail telephone security. If you do not have a personal tax account, you can create one before you check your details.

HMRC may ask if you want to add voice identification to your account. You can find out more in the Voice Identification Privacy Notice.

0300 200 3310

Outside UK:
+44 161 931 9070

Opening times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm

Closed on weekends and bank holidays.

Find out about call charges


Write to HMRC at this address with all Self Assessment queries, except if you want to make a complaint about HMRC.

You do not need to include a street name, city name or PO box when writing to this address.

Couriers should use a different address.

Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom