You can get evidence of your earnings (‘SA302’) for the last 4 years once you’ve sent your Self Assessment tax return.

You can also get a tax year overview for any year.

You might be asked for these documents as evidence of your income, for example if you’re applying for a mortgage and you’re self-employed.

The tax year is from 6 April to 5 April the following year.

You may be able to:

  • print the documents yourself - if you submit your return online
  • get your documents sent to you by post

You can print your own tax calculation and tax year overview if you do your Self Assessment tax return using either:

  • HM Revenue and Customs’ (HMRC’s) online services
  • commercial software

Check that your mortgage provider accepts documents you’ve printed yourself.

You can’t print your documents until 72 hours after you sent your tax return.

If you use HMRC’s online services

  1. Log in to your HMRC online account.

  2. Go to ‘Self Assessment’, then ‘More Self Assessment details’.

If you use commercial software

If you or your accountant use commercial software to do your return, you’ll need to use that software to print your tax calculation. It might be called something different in the software - for example ‘tax computation’.

Contact the company that makes the software if you have trouble printing.

You can still print a tax year overview from your HMRC online account.

Get your documents sent to you

You can contact HMRC to get a tax calculation or tax year overview by post if:

The documents will take up to 2 weeks to arrive.