1. If you're already registered

Use this service to:

  • fill in and send your tax return to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • go back to a tax return you’ve already started

To sign in for the first time, you’ll need a Government Gateway account. You’ll have one if you’ve used HMRC online services before.

Other ways to sign in

You can also sign in using GOV.UK Verify. If you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before, it takes about 10 minutes to sign up. You’ll then be able to use it with other government services.

Who can’t use the service

You need to buy other software or download other forms to send a Self Assessment tax return:

  • for a partnership
  • for a trust and estate
  • if you lived abroad as a non-resident
  • if you get income from a trust, you’re a Lloyd’s underwriter or a religious minister

This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

If you’re not registered

There are different ways to register if you’re:

You should allow enough time to complete the registration process so you can send your return by the deadline.