You can file your Self Assessment tax return online if you:
- are self-employed
- are not self-employed but you still send a tax return, for example because you receive income from renting out a property
You can also use the online service to:
- view returns you’ve made before
- check your details
- print your tax calculation
If you did not file a tax return last year
You must register for Self Assessment before using this service if:
- you’re filing for the first time
- you’ve sent a tax return in the past but did not send one last tax year
When you cannot file online
You cannot file a Self Assessment tax return online:
Use commercial software or download other forms instead.
Sign in to file your tax return
You’ll need to prove your identity using Government Gateway. You’ll be able to register for Government Gateway if you have not used it before.
You can no longer use GOV.UK Verify to prove your identity.
You do not have to complete your return in one go. You can save your entry and go back to it later if you need to.