Apply for a vehicle operator licence

Use this service to apply for:

  • a goods vehicle operator’s licence
  • a public service vehicle (PSV) operator’s licence
  • an interim operator licence

You can also pay any application or licence fees.

Before you start

To support your application, you need to send evidence that proves you have enough money to run your business. All finance documents must be in the name of the business applying for the licence.

If you’re applying for a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) operator licence

You need to advertise your application in a local newspaper in the traffic area your business operates in. You’ll need to upload a copy of your advert when you apply.

Your application will be refused if you do not advertise your application correctly.

You’ll need to hold a goods vehicle operator’s licence for each traffic area where you have an operating centre. The traffic areas are:

  • east of England
  • north-east of England
  • north-west of England
  • west of England
  • London and the south-east of England
  • West Midlands
  • Scotland
  • Wales

To find out more about traffic areas and how to make sure you have the right licence, email the Office of the Traffic Commissioner:

Apply for a vehicle operator licence

You’ll need:

  • a debit or credit card
  • your username and password if you’ve used the service before

You can register in the service if you’ve not used it before.

Start now

What you need to know

After you apply online, you’ll usually get a decision within 7 weeks. It can take longer - for example, if you do not provide all requested supporting documents when you apply.

Help with your application

If you live in England, Scotland or Wales, contact the DVSA to get help with your application.

DVSA customer service centre
Telephone: 0300 123 9000
Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

If you live in Northern Ireland, contact the Transport Regulation Unit to get help with your application.

Transport Regulation Unit
Telephone: 0300 200 7831
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges