1. Overview

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) have merged to form the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

A local bus service uses public service vehicles (PSVs) to carry passengers who pay separate fares over short distances.

The route can be any length, as long as passengers can get off within 15 miles (measured in a straight line) of where they got on.

Example An express service runs from Bristol to Chepstow. You may think it doesn’t need to be registered as your passenger will travel more than 15 miles between where they get on and off. However, it does need to be registered because it’s less than 15 miles in a straight line.

With a few exceptions, local services operating outside London must be registered with the local traffic commissioner.

To run a service in London you need a London Service Permit.

Who can register

You can register a local bus service if you:

  • hold a valid PSV operator’s licence
  • hold a community bus permit
  • are a local education authority and want to provide a local service using a school bus belonging to you

Taxi or private hire vehicle owners can also register by getting a special PSV operator’s licence.

Before you register

Before registering a local bus service you should consider if:

  • your route is suitable
  • you have the right sort of vehicles
  • you can keep to the timetable given the traffic conditions on route
  • you have enough drivers to cover absences though sicknesses, holidays, etc
  • you have replacement vehicles if other vehicles are off-road
  • there are any traffic regulation conditions – contact your local traffic area office
  • a Quality Partnership or Quality Contract Scheme exists - contact your local transport authority

You must run the service just as you have registered it, even if staff members are ill or a vehicle is off the road. There are penalties if you don’t.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.