Request a basic DBS check

Apply for a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to get a copy of your criminal record. This is called ‘basic disclosure’. It costs £18. It’s available for people working in England and Wales.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You can also get a basic DBS check if you live in Northern Ireland or Scotland but the job you’re applying for is in England or Wales.

There’s a different way to apply if you’re applying for a job in Northern Ireland or applying for a job in Scotland.

The check will only show convictions that are not ‘spent’, for example some types of caution will disappear after 3 months.

It usually takes up to 14 days for you to receive your certificate.

You must be 16 or over to apply.

What you’ll need

To use this service, you’ll need to prove your identity using GOV.UK One Login. You’ll be able to create a GOV.UK One Login if you do not already have one.

You’ll need to provide addresses for the last 5 years (including the dates you lived at each address), and if you have them your:

  • passport
  • driving licence (full or provisional)
  • National Insurance number


The service is available from 8am to 11:30pm.

Start now

Before you start

Find out if you need a basic DBS check or ask your employer if you’re not sure.

Transgender applicants

You can request to not reveal details of your previous identity if you’re a transgender applicant.

Other ways to apply

You can also choose to apply through other companies. DBS has a list of companies you can apply through.

If you need to contact DBS

DBS helpline: 03000 200 190 (select option 2 and then press 1)
Minicom: 03000 200 192
Welsh: 03000 200 191
International: +44 (0)151 676 9390
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (except public holidays)
Find out about call charges
Get help through DBS webchat