Inter Milan v Southampton travel advice
Travel advice for Southampton fans travelling to Milan, Italy, for the UEFA Europa League, Inter v Southampton match on Thursday 20 October 2016.
Advice for fans travelling to Italy for Southampton’s match with Inter Milan on Thursday 20 October 2016
Date: Thursday 20 October 2016
Venue: Giuseppe Meazza Stadium (San Siro), Piazzale Angelo Moratti, 20151 Milan
Kick off time: 7pm (local time)
As well as this advice, check out our travel advice for Italy.
A national general transport strike is planned for Friday 21 October, which may cause delays and/or cancellations of flights and trains.
You should check with your travel provider for more information before departure. For more information on planned transport strikes, visit the Ministry of Transport website (in Italian).
Passports and visas
you don’t need a visa to travel to Italy on a British passport from the UK, but your passport should be valid for the duration of your stay
you must carry ID with you at all times - you’ll need to carry your passport to the match to gain entry to the stadium
if you lose your passport, you’ll need to get an emergency travel document from the British Consulate-General in Milan or the British Embassy in Rome; you’ll need to supply a police report, flight reservation and one photo; the fee is £100.00
Getting to the stadium
Local information and transport links:
Milan Taxi rank numbers: +39 02 4040 / +39 02 6969 / +39 02 8585
for train information visit Trenitalia
information about San Siro Stadium
Inter Milan’s website
At the match
- large amounts of coins, belts with large buckles and heavy cigarette lighters aren’t allowed in the stadium; check with Southampton FC if you need more information about the rules on banners/flags
- arrive at the stadium in good time as entry/security procedures may take some time to complete; at the end of the game you’ll be asked to stay in the stadium for a short time to allow the home supporters’ area to be cleared
- the Italian government has a zero tolerance policy on hooliganism both inside and outside the stadium
beware of pickpockets and bag snatchers at airports, railway station (Stazione Ferroviaria), around the town centre and when using public transport; only carry what you need, leave spare cash and valuables in hotel safety deposits
if you’re travelling in a car, remember to always lock the vehicle and never leave valuables inside; hire cars and foreign registered vehicles are more of a target for thieves
Contact the British Consulate-General in Milan
British Consulate-General Milan
Via San Paolo, 7
Tel. +39 02 72 3001
Emergency services numbers
- Police (Carabinieri): 112
- Ambulance: 118
- Fire brigade: 115
Other useful contacts/information
Local information for Milan
Published: 6 October 2016
Updated: 17 October 2016
- A national general transport strike is planned for Friday 21 October, which may cause delays and/or cancellations of flights and trains.
- First published.