Foreign travel advice


Warnings and insurance

This travel advice also covers Vatican City.

Volcanic activity

Due to volcanic activity, local authorities have increased the alert levels for both Etna and Stromboli in the south of Italy. In the event of a volcanic eruption, follow the advice of local authorities. See more information on volcanoes.

Airspace can be affected during eruptions. If you are travelling to or from Catania, during this period of heightened activity, check with your travel provider or with Catania airport.

Before you travel

No travel can be guaranteed safe. Read all the advice in this guide and any specific travel advice that applies to you:  

Travel insurance

If you choose to travel, research your destinations and get appropriate travel insurance. Insurance should cover your itinerary, planned activities and expenses in an emergency.

About FCDO travel advice

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about FCDO travel advice

Follow FCDO travel on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this advice is updated.