Entry requirements

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Italy set and enforce entry rules. For further information contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to. You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

If you are travelling to Italy for work, read the guidance on visas and permits as the rules have changed since 1 January 2021.

Entry rules in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

Demonstrating your COVID-19 status

Italy will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record as the equivalent to a green pass. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

If you can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated

If you travel from the UK and can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated, you can enter Italy without needing to self-isolate if you also:

  • fill in the passenger locator form (EU PLF) before you enter Italy to get a QR code to show to your travel provider and Border Police. You can ask for paper form if you do not have an electronic device
  • show evidence of a negative PCR or antigen test, taken within 48 hours before entering Italy

If you are not vaccinated, or cannot demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated

If you are not vaccinated, to enter Italy from the UK you must:

  • fill in the passenger locator form (EU PLF) to get a QR code to show to your travel provider and Border Police. You can ask for paper form if you do not have an electronic device
  • show evidence of a negative PCR or antigen test, taken within 48 hours before entering Italy
  • notify the Prevention Department of the local health authority of your entry into Italy. See COVID-19 Numeri verdi regionali for the contact details of local Italian health authorities
  • travel to your final destination in Italy by private transport only
  • remain in self-isolation for 5 days
  • take another PCR or antigen test at the end of the 5 days’ self-isolation


Children under 18 do not need to quarantine if they are travelling with a fully vaccinated parent and (for those over the age of 6) have a negative test.

Children under the age of 6 are exempt from testing.


Exemptions from testing may apply if you are transiting Italy in a private vehicle for less than 36 hours or travelling for proven reasons of work, health or absolute necessity, for less than 120 hours. Check the Ministry of Health website (in English). You must still complete a passenger locator form.

You can read more about the requirement to get a COVID-19 test on Italian Embassy in London’s COVID-19 update page.

Wearing masks for flights

Italian airport regulations require all travellers to wear a medical mask whilst on board flights to and from Italy. Masks should be replaced every 4 hours if it is not possible to maintain social distancing. You should check on board requirements with your airline.

Further information

Check Italian Embassy in London guidance, or contact your travel provider, for more information.

If you are a UK national resident in Italy, we advise carrying proof of your residence when entering Italy.

Check the Italian Government’s online questionnaire (in English) for more advice on entry requirements and travel to Italy.

Many airlines and airports serving Italy are operating a reduced service and may be subject to change. You should check your airline’s website, as well as the website for the airport you are intending to fly to for the latest information.

Traveling to Italy from or through other countries

Land borders are open.

You should check travel advice for any countries you plan to travel through ahead of your journey and should ensure that you have the necessary tests for each country you transit as well as Italy.

This guidance is only for entry from the UK. Entry requirements may be different if you have travelled from, or transited through, another country. Consult the Italian Government’s online questionnaire (in English) for more advice and the Re-open Europe website for transit regulations.

Regular entry requirements


The rules for travelling or working in European countries changed on 1 January 2021:

  • you can travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training

  • if you are travelling to Italy and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days

  • to stay longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the Italian government’s entry requirements. Check which type of visa and/or work permit you may need with the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs before booking an appointment through the Italian consulates in London or Edinburgh.

  • if you stay in Italy with a residence permit or long-stay visa, this does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit

  • British citizens who are unable to return to the UK before the expiry of their visa/permit or the end of their visa-free limit due to COVID-19 restrictions should contact their local immigration office (questura).

Any time you spent in Italy or other Schengen countries before 1 January 2021 does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

At Italian border control your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. You should also be prepared to:

  • queue in separate lanes from EU, EEA or Swiss citizens.
  • show proof of your accommodation, for example, a hotel booking confirmation or proof of address if visiting your own property (e.g. second home).
  • show proof of insurance for your trip. Please check the guidance on travel insurance here.
  • show a return or onward ticket
  • you should also be able to prove that you have enough money for your stay. The minimum amount required depends on your accommodation.
  • Your host must inform the local immigration office (questura) in writing within 48 hours after you arrive at their property. They could be fined if they fail to comply with this Italian immigration law.

If you are entering from a Schengen Area country (e.g. France) you are required to declare your presence to the local immigration authority (questura) within 8 days of arriving (‘dichiarazione di presenza’). The questura will provide a form to complete. This requirement is not applicable if you are staying in a hotel or a B & B property.

Further information is provided on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

British nationals resident in Italy

There are separate requirements for those who are resident in Italy. If you are resident in Italy, you should carry proof of residence, such as the new ‘carta di soggiorno elettronica’ or your current EU residency document, as well as your valid passport when you travel. For further information on these requirements, see our Living in Italy guide.

Passport validity

Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip, and renew your passport if you do not have enough time left on it.

Make sure your passport is:

  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave Italy, or any other Schengen country
  • less than 10 years old

The 3 months you need when leaving a country must be within 10 years of the passport issue date.

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the minimum 3 months needed.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Italy.