Changes in your circumstances can affect your benefits - if you don’t report them and get overpaid as a result, you may have to pay a £50 ‘civil penalty’. You may also have to repay the benefit overpayment.
- getting married, entering into a civil partnership or moving in with a partner
- getting a new job or pay rise
- taking in a lodger
- travelling or moving abroad
- no longer being sick or ill
The £50 civil penalty applies if your benefit is overpaid because you:
- negligently gave incorrect information and didn’t take reasonable steps to correct your mistake
- didn’t tell Jobcentre Plus, a disability benefits centre, the Pension Service or your local council about a change or failed to give them information without a reasonable excuse
You could be prosecuted or get another fine if you deliberately give false information or fail to report a change in your circumstances.