Changes in your circumstances can affect your benefits - if you don’t report them and get overpaid as a result, you may have to pay a £50 ‘civil penalty’. You may also have to repay the benefit overpayment.

You must report any change in your circumstances and correct mistakes you make to your local Jobcentre Plus or a disability benefits centre as soon as it happens. Changes you need to report include:

  • getting married, entering into a civil partnership or moving in with a partner
  • getting a new job or pay rise
  • taking in a lodger
  • travelling or moving abroad
  • no longer being sick or ill

The £50 civil penalty applies if your benefit is overpaid because you:

You could be prosecuted or get another fine if you deliberately give false information or fail to report a change in your circumstances.