Pension Credit

Report a change of circumstances

You need to report changes to you and your partner’s personal and financial circumstances.

Your claim might be stopped or reduced if you do not report a change straight away.

A change of personal circumstances can include:

  • starting or stopping work
  • going into hospital or a care home
  • people moving in or out of your house
  • moving house
  • changing your name
  • switching your bank account
  • changes to your Post Office card account
  • leaving England, Scotland and Wales for over 4 weeks
  • you start or stop looking after a child or young person under the age of 20

You also need to report if your income or expenses change. This can include changes to:

  • housing costs, for example ground rent or service charges
  • benefits that anyone living in your home gets - including getting a new benefit or a benefit being stopped
  • occupational or personal pensions - including if you start to get a new pension or take a lump sum out of your pension pot
  • other income, for example foreign pensions or Working Tax Credits
  • savings, investments or property

Call the Pension Credit helpline if you’re not sure if you need to report a change.

You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change in your circumstances.

How to report

Pension Service helpline
Telephone: 0800 731 0469
Textphone: 0800 169 0133
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0469
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

You can also report by post. The address is on the letters you get about your Pension Credit.

Changes to Assessed Income Periods (AIPs)

An AIP is a period of time when you do not have to report changes to your pensions, savings or investments. Your Pension Credit award letter tells you if you have one.

If you have an AIP with no end date you must still report changes to your personal circumstances, for example if you move into a care home.

No new AIPs have been set since April 2016. If you have one it may end earlier than the date on your Pension Credit award letter. If your AIP is ending early, the Department for Work and Pensions will send you a letter with your new end date.

Your AIP will not be renewed and you will need to report any changes to your circumstances when it ends. Read about the changes to AIPs including the new end dates.

If you’ve been paid too much

You may have to repay the money if you:

  • did not report a change straight away
  • gave wrong information
  • were overpaid by mistake

Find out how to repay the money you owe from benefit overpayment.