To qualify for Guarantee Credit:
- you must live in Great Britain
- you or your partner must have reached Pension Credit qualifying age
The qualifying age for Pension Credit is gradually going up to 66 in line with the increase in the State Pension age for women to 65 and the further increase to 66 for men and women.
Find out more about Pension Credit and when you could get it.
To qualify for the extra Savings Credit you or your partner must be 65 or over.
You’re treated as a couple if you live with your husband, wife or partner. You don’t have to be married or in a civil partnership.
You can’t get Pension Credit if you move abroad permanently.
Working out your income
When you apply your income is worked out. This includes:
- State Pension
- other pensions
- most social security benefits, eg Carer’s Allowance
- savings, investments over £10,000 - for these £1 is counted for every £500 or part £500
The calculation doesn’t include:
- Attendance Allowance
- Christmas Bonus
- Disability Living Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Reduction
Get face-to-face advice or leaflets about Pension Credit from your local Service Information Point. You need to book for face-to-face advice.