To qualify for Guarantee Credit:
- you must live in Great Britain
- you or your partner must have reached Pension Credit qualifying age
The qualifying age for Pension Credit is gradually going up to 66 in line with the increase in the State Pension age for women to 65 and the further increase to 66 for men and women.
To qualify for the extra Savings Credit you or your partner must be 65 or over.
You’re treated as a couple if you live with your husband, wife or partner. You don’t have to be married or in a civil partnership.
You can still apply for Savings Credit after 6 April 2016 if you reached State Pension age before that date.
If you reached State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016
Most people who reached State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016 won’t be eligible for Savings Credit. But you may continue to get Savings Credit if both of the following apply:
- you’re in a couple and one of you reached State Pension age before 6 April 2016
- you were getting Savings Credit up to 6 April 2016
If you stop being eligible for Savings Credit for any reason, you won’t be able to get it again.
Working out your income
When you apply for Pension Credit your income is worked out. This includes:
- State Pension
- other pensions
- most social security benefits, for example Carer’s Allowance
- savings, investments over £10,000 - for these £1 is counted for every £500 or part £500
If you’re entitled to a private or workplace pension, the amount you’d expect to get is calculated as income from the date you were able to get it, if you had claimed it.
You won’t get the benefit of deferring your State Pension if you or your partner are on Pension Credit, for example you won’t build up extra State Pension or a lump sum for deferring your State Pension. When working out if you can get Pension Credit, the income you’d get from your State Pension is included whether you’re claiming it or not.
The calculation doesn’t include:
- Attendance Allowance
- Christmas Bonus
- Disability Living Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Reduction
Pension Credit if you move abroad
You can’t get Pension Credit if you move abroad permanently.