Divorce, separation and legal issues

Child maintenance, disagreements about parentage, child custody.


  1. Child maintenance calculator

    Work out the amount of child maintenance if you’re arranging it yourselves, or to get an idea of the statutory amounts from the Child Support Agency or Child Maintenance Service

  2. Find help to get your child back from abroad or arrange contact

    How to apply to have your child returned if they've been abducted, or arrange contact or enforce a court order in EU, Hague Convention and non-Hague Convention countries

  3. Get a letter from an organisation providing domestic violence support services

    Use this sample letter to get evidence that you've been abused by a partner, if you're applying for legal aid for a divorce or separation.

  1. Child abuse assessments or protection plans: sample letter

    Sample letter for social services staff to respond to requests for information about child abuse assessments or child protection plans.

  2. Get a copy of a police caution for domestic violence

    Use this letter to get evidence a partner has been cautioned by police for domestic violence against you, if you're applying for legal aid.

See all services

Guidance and regulation

  1. Use the Child Maintenance Service or Child Support Agency (CSA)

    Child maintenance - how to work it out, how the Child Support Agency and Child Maintenance Service can help, complaints, appeals

  2. How child maintenance is worked out

    Use the child maintenance calculator to work out how much child maintenance to pay - or see how the Child Support Agency and Child Maintenance Service work out maintenance, and the rates they use

  3. Arranging child maintenance yourself

    How to arrange child maintenance yourself without using the Child Maintenance Service - family-based arrangements

  1. When child maintenance payments stop

    Child maintenance payments usually stop when the child reaches 16 - but there are situations in which they'll stop sooner

    • Answer
  2. Making child arrangements if you divorce or separate

    How to make arrangements for your children if you divorce or separate, mediation and how to apply for a court order if you can't agree

    • Guide
See all guidance and regulation

News and communications

  1. Remit letter from the Secretary of State to Cafcass

    • Department for Education and Cafcass
    • Correspondence
  2. Statement from Children's Minister Tim Loughton on NAO report on Cafcass

    • Department for Education
    • News story
See all news and communications