UK help and services in Japan

Services if you're visiting, studying, working or living in Japan. Includes information about trading with and doing business in the UK and Japan.


Copy and paste this URL in to your feed reader

Emergency help for British nationals

Get help if you're the victim of crime, you've been arrested, or are affected by a crisis abroad.

  1. British Embassy Tokyo

    The British Embassy in Japan maintains and develops relations between the UK and Japan.

  2. Compensation for victims of terrorist attacks abroad

    Compensation for terrorist attacks abroad - eligibility, acts of terrorism covered, application form, helpline

  3. Compensation if you're a victim of crime abroad

    If you're a UK resident and have been injured because of a violent crime abroad, you can usually apply for compensation

  4. Get help if you're a victim of crime abroad

    Contact the nearest British embassy, commission or consulate to get help if you're the victim of crime abroad

  5. Help if you're arrested abroad

    Find out what the Foreign and Commonwealth Office can do to help if you or someone you know is arrested abroad.

  6. Japan – Prisoner Pack

    Explanation of the legal and prison system to British Nationals

  7. Rape and sexual assault abroad: returning to the UK

    Information for British nationals affected by rape or sexual assault abroad and returning to the UK, including how to access medical treatment and legal advice in the UK.

  8. What to do if you’re affected by a crisis overseas

    Advice for British nationals affected by crises abroad, including terrorist attacks, natural disasters and major political unrest, and information on what help the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) can provide.

Passports and emergency travel documents

Includes how to cancel a lost passport, renew a passport and apply for an emergency travel document.

  1. Apply for or renew a British passport if you're visiting the UK

    You can apply for or renew a British passport while you're visiting the UK - as long as you expect to be in the UK for long enough

  2. Cancel a lost or stolen passport

    What you need to do if your passport has been lost or stolen and you need to travel urgently - emergency travel document and replacement passport.

  3. Get an emergency travel document

    Apply for an emergency travel document if you're outside the UK and haven't got a valid British passport - apply online, how to apply, fee, timings

  4. Overseas British passport applications

    Renew, replace or apply for an adult or child British passport if you’re living abroad or working overseas - forms, prices, how long it takes

Travelling to Japan

Includes travel advice and how to get married abroad.

  1. Getting married abroad

    Requirements, paperwork and processes for weddings and civil partnerships overseas - registration, restrictions, fees

  2. Japan travel advice

    Latest travel advice for Japan including safety and security, entry requirements, travel warnings and health

  3. Reduce your risk from terrorism while abroad

    How to minimise your risk and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack.

Coming to the UK

Get a visa to study, work or visit the UK.

  1. Check if you need a UK visa

    You may need a visa to come to the UK to visit, study or work.

  2. Contact UK Visas and Immigration about your application

    How to contact UK visas and immigration (UKVI) from inside and outside the UK.

  3. Get your visa, immigration or citizenship documents back

    Get your documents returned if you've made a UK visa, immigration or citizenship application but need them back urgently

  4. Translating visa documents: list of translators in Japan

    List of English translation services in Japan.

Living in Japan

Includes how to access healthcare, get a document legalised, lists of lawyers and how to vote abroad.

  1. Get your document legalised

    Use the online service to get a UK document legalised

  2. Japan travel advice

    Latest travel advice for Japan including safety and security, entry requirements, travel warnings and health

  3. Japan: Local Services List (Lawyers, Interpreters, Translators, Medical, Funeral)

    List of English-speaking lawyers, translators/interpreters, sources of medical information in Japan and list of undertakers in Japan

  4. Living in Japan

    Advice for British people living in Japan, including information on health, employment, benefits, driving licences and more.

  5. Support for British nationals abroad: A guide

    This guide highlights some of the main ways you can help yourself stay safe abroad and what help the FCO can provide.

  6. Voting when you’re abroad

    How to vote if you're going to be abroad temporarily on election day, and what to do if you're moving overseas long term

Tax, benefits, pensions and working abroad

Includes how to pay tax, claim State Pension and get tax credits abroad.

  1. Claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad

    Benefits you can claim if you go abroad and countries with social security arrangements with the UK

  2. Moving or retiring abroad

    What you need to know if you move or retire abroad - tax, pensions, voting and contacting your local council

  3. National Insurance if you go abroad

    Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to find out if you need to pay National Insurance when you work abroad

  4. State Pension if you retire abroad

    How to claim State Pension if you're overseas - payment, tax, change of circumstances - contact the International Pension Centre

  5. Tax credits if you leave or move to the UK

    Tax credits if you live abroad, go travelling, are a cross-border worker or subject to immigration control

  6. Tax on foreign income

    Find out whether you need to pay UK tax on foreign income - residence and ‘non-dom’ status, tax returns, claiming relief if you’re taxed twice (including certificates of residence)

  7. Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

    Find out whether you need to pay tax on your UK income while you're living abroad - non-resident landlord scheme, tax returns, claiming relief if you’re taxed twice, personal allowance of tax-free income, form R43

  8. Work in another EU country

    UK citizens can work in any European Economic Area country and Switzerland without a work permit - where you can work, your rights, protection for posted workers and National Insurance payments

Birth, death and marriage abroad

Includes how to get married, list of funeral directors and how to register a birth abroad.

  1. Affidavit/Affirmation of Marital Status - Japan

    Affidavit (religious) and Affirmation (non-religious) of Marital Status forms for marriage under local law in Japan

  2. Bereavement guide for Japan

    Information to help you deal with practical arrangements following the death of a British national in Japan.

  3. Getting married abroad

    Requirements, paperwork and processes for weddings and civil partnerships overseas - registration, restrictions, fees

  4. Japan - Child Abduction

    Information on legal issues relating to parental child abduction

  5. Marriage questionnaire, Japan

    How to request an appointment to give Notice of Marriage in Japan.

  6. Register a birth abroad

    Parents must register the birth in the country where the child was born - find out if you can also register the birth in the UK

  7. Surrogacy overseas

    Information for British nationals who are considering entering into surrogacy arrangements in foreign countries.

  8. What to do after someone dies

    The steps you must take when someone dies - register a death, report a death with Tell Us Once, coroners, funerals and death abroad

News and events

Find out about the UK government's diplomatic, security and development work in Japan.

  1. Japan and the UK

    Updates, news and events from the UK government in Japan

Trade and invest

Includes investing and setting up a business in the UK and doing business in Japan.

  1. Business investment in the UK: Guidance for overseas businesses

    Guidance on why overseas companies should set up and locate their businesses in the UK. Includes information on UK business investment and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) opportunities.

  2. Department for International Trade Japan

    Department for International Trade (DIT) helps UK-based companies succeed in the global economy. We also help overseas companies bring their high-quality investment to the UK’s dynamic economy.

  3. Overseas Business Risk - Japan

    This guidance provides information on important security and political risks which UK businesses may face when operating in Japan.

  4. Set up a business

    What you need to do to start a business: choose a legal structure, see if you need licences and insurance, learn about reliefs and benefits

  5. UK Science & Innovation Network in Japan

    The UK Science and Innovation Network Japan (SIN Japan) builds and promotes strategic collaboration between Japan and the UK on key science and innovation themes.

British embassy or high commission

Includes contact details, opening hours and consular fees and local services.

  1. British Consulate General Osaka

    The British Consulate-General in Osaka represents the UK government in Western Japan.

  2. British Embassy Tokyo

    The British Embassy in Japan maintains and develops relations between the UK and Japan.

  3. Japan – Consular Fees

    Details of Consular Fees

  4. Notarial and documentary services guide for Japan

    Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at the British Embassy in Japan.