Due to torrential rain, there are risks of flooding and landslides in wide areas of central and western Japan. You should check transport information in case of disruption and follow the advice of local authorities including any evacuation orders.

An earthquake of approximately magnitude 5.9 on the Richter scale occurred on 18 June 2018 in Osaka Prefecture and was felt in the wider Kansai region. The Japan Meteorological Agency have said that there is a continued risk of aftershocks.

British nationals should follow the advice of the local authorities, be aware of the risk of aftershocks and monitor local news for updates.

Tensions remain high on the Korean peninsula due to a series of DPRK (North Korea) nuclear and missile tests. There remains a risk of further missile and nuclear tests, which could lead to a further increase in regional tensions, and may affect Japan. Closely monitor developments, and follow instructions from the local authorities (Cabinet Secretariat Civil Protection Portal Site).

For updates on political events on the Korean Peninsula which could affect travellers to Japan you should read the South Korea Travel Advice

The Japanese authorities continue to maintain some exclusion zones around the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear facility. Travel through these zones on some designated trunk roads is allowed. Follow local signs and instructions while travelling in this area. See Fukushima

The tropical cyclone (typhoon) season runs from June to December with most activity between July and September. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms and follow instructions issued by the local authorities, including any evacuation orders. See Tropical cyclones

There’s a continuous risk of earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis throughout Japan. Latest warnings and advisories are published on the Japan Meteorological Agency website. See Natural disasters

271,600 British nationals visited Japan in 2016. Most visits are trouble free.

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Japan, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

To contact the emergency services call 110 (police) or 119 (fire and ambulance). Calls are free of charge from any phone, including pay phones.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.