Visiting the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

Skip to contents of guide

Business travel: extra requirements

As well as the actions all travellers need to take, there are extra actions if you’re travelling for business.

Business travel includes activities such as:

  • travelling for meetings and conferences
  • providing services (even with a charity)
  • touring for art or music
  • taking goods to sell

Entry requirements

If you’re travelling to an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for less than 90 days in a 180-day period, you may be able to do some things without getting a visa or work permit, for example going to a business meeting.

You may need a visa, work permit or other documentation if you’re planning to stay for longer than 90 days in a 180-day period, or if you’ll be doing any of the following:

  • transferring from the UK branch of a company to a branch in a different country (‘intra-corporate transfer’), even for a short period of time
  • carrying out contracts to provide a service to a client in another country in which your employer has no presence
  • providing services in another country as a self-employed person

Check the entry requirements and rules of the country you’re visiting to find out if you need a visa or work permit.

Professional qualifications

Check your qualifications will be recognised in the EU if you provide services like legal services.

Earning money in the EU

You might need to tell HMRC you’ll be working in the EU. Check whether you’ll need to pay social security contributions in the country you’re working in.


Check whether you need indemnity insurance for your employees.

Taking goods into the EU

Check you’ve got the right documentation to take goods to the EU.

You’ll need to make a customs declaration if you take goods with you to sell abroad or use for business.

This includes activities such as selling:

  • a small number of items, for example t-shirts or other merchandise at a concert
  • to a friend or relative

Taking cash into the EU

You’ll need to make a declaration if you take £10,000 or more in cash with you.

Find out what else you need to do to continue doing business with Europe.