Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)

How to claim or reclaim

You can apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) online.

Apply now

If you cannot apply online, call Jobcentre Plus.

Jobcentre Plus
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 055 6688
Welsh language: 0800 012 1888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

Check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit . If you are, you could get Universal Credit at the same time or instead of ‘new style’ JSA

After you make your claim

You’ll get a text or phone call within 2 working days to arrange a JSA interview at your local Jobcentre Plus office.

You will not get JSA if you do not go to the interview.

Claim with your partner (joint claim)

You must make a joint claim with your partner if neither of you are responsible for a child.

Contact Jobcentre Plus if you’re not sure about making a joint claim.

Reclaim JSA (‘rapid reclaim’)

If you have up to 2 children, or no children

You cannot apply for ‘rapid reclaim’. Apply for Universal Credit instead.

If you have 3 or more children

You can make a quicker claim for JSA online if you’ve had JSA in the last 26 weeks.

You’ll have to start the application again. It should take about 20 minutes.

You still have to attend an interview at a Jobcentre Plus office to get JSA.

Contact Jobcentre Plus if you cannot apply online.

If you disagree with a decision

You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for mandatory reconsideration.

Make a complaint

You can complain about Jobcentre Plus if you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received.