5. Further information

Claimant Commitment

You may have to sign a Claimant Commitment if you live in a certain area and make a new claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or complete the Work Programme.

This is an agreement that you’ll complete certain tasks in order to claim JSA. You and your adviser will agree what goes in your Claimant Commitment, eg:

  • what you need to do to look for work (eg registering with recruitment agencies, writing a CV)
  • how many hours you need to spend looking for work each week
  • your circumstances (eg work history, health, family or caring responsibilities)

Your benefit might be cut if you don’t do what you’ve agreed to in your Claimant Commitment.

Your Claimant Commitment will be unique to you and it’ll be updated if your circumstances change.

Plan and record your job seeking

You’ll have a personal work plan to help you:

  • plan what you need to do to find a job
  • keep a record of what happened
  • prove to your adviser that you’ve been looking for work


You can appeal against the decision about your JSA if you’re unhappy with it.

Check the date on your decision letter. There are different ways to appeal if your decision was made:

JSA complaints

You can complain about Jobcentre Plus if you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received.

When your JSA can be stopped

Your JSA could be stopped as a penalty (known as a sanction) for example if you:

  • don’t go to a Jobcentre Plus when asked
  • turn down a job or training
  • don’t apply for any jobs
  • don’t go to any training booked for you
  • leave your job or training without a good reason or because of your behaviour

A Jobcentre Plus adviser can tell you how long your JSA will be stopped for. It could be up to 3 years.

You may get hardship payments if you’re suffering financial hardship - check with the Jobcentre.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.