Living in the Dominican Republic

This guide explains the main administrative issues British nationals moving to Dominican Republic may want to consider before or shortly after they arrive in the Dominican Republic.

Entry requirements

Check FCDO travel advice for the Dominican Republic for information on passport validity requirements.

If you intend to relocate or work in the Dominican Republic, you must apply for a special visa before travelling. The Dominican Republic Embassy website has more information about different types of visas.


Please refer to the FCDO Travel Advice for the Dominican Republic for advice on healthcare.

The Dominican Republic and the UK do not have reciprocal healthcare agreements. You should buy comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you enter the country.

The NHS has information for people moving abroad.

Property purchase

See buying a property abroad.

You should consult Dominican lawyers with relevant experience before purchasing any property in the Dominican Republic. There is no Legal Section in the British Embassy and consular staff are not legally trained; therefore we are not able to advise you on legal matters, interfere in private disputes over property, or other issues. However, we can provide you with a list of List of English Speaking Lawyers. Please note the disclaimer.


See tax if you leave the UK to live abroad and tax on your UK income if you live abroad.

We recommend you get professional advice on paying tax in the Dominican Republic.

You may be able to pay National Insurance while abroad in order to protect your State Pension and entitlement to other benefits and allowances.


See claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad.

Find out which UK benefits you might be able to get while you’re abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit can’t be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

Driving in the Dominican Republic

See driving abroad and the FCDO Travel Advice for the Dominican Republic for information on driving licence requirements for visitors and residents.

See taking a vehicle out of the UK.


A range of private bilingual schools is available. Further information on schools and education in the Dominican Republic can be found at the Dominican Ministry of Education website.

If you are planning to study in the Dominican Republic, you will need to apply for the appropriate visa. The Dominican Republic Embassy website has more information.

UK state pensions

See State Pension if you retire abroad and new State Pension.

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible – your payments may be suspended if you don’t.


See voting when you’re abroad.

British citizens living abroad can vote in some UK elections – you’ll need to register as an overseas voter.

Births, Marriages and Deaths

See guidance on how to register a birth abroad; getting married abroad and what to do if someone dies abroad.

Renewing passports

See overseas British passports applications and get an emergency travel document.


You can find emergency numbers in the FCDO Travel Advice for the Dominican Republic.

If you need consular assistance, contact your nearest British embassy or consulate.

Returning to the UK

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

See tax if you return to the UK.

See bringing your pet to the UK.


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Dominican authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

Published 20 November 2013
Last updated 21 August 2019 + show all updates
  1. This guide has been updated on August 2019.

  2. First published.