Living in Lebanon

Advice for British people living in Lebanon, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.

Living in Lebanon

This guide sets out essential information for British citizens moving to or living in Lebanon. Read about how our Embassy in Lebanon can help.

This information is provided as a guide only. You should get definitive information from the Lebanese authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is not liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

Support for British Nationals Abroad: A Guide sets out how British nationals can stay safe abroad and how the FCDO can help if you do get into difficulty.

Read general guidance on moving or retiring abroad

To stay up to date: follow UK in Lebanon on Facebook Twitter Instagram.

Before you go

See our travel advice for Lebanon for up-to-date information on entry requirements, local laws and customs, safety and emergencies. You should also read the Overseas Business Risk Lebanon Guide.


Follow the advice of the Lebanese government and your local authority. You should also read the Lebanon travel advice

Visas and residency

Check the entry requirements for Lebanon in our travel advice.

Further information can be found on the Security General website.

If you are a British National resident in Lebanon and you wish to sponsor a family member to live in Lebanon, contact the Security General or the Lebanese Embassy in London for further guidance.

You should factor in the considerable delays occurring in any process with the local authorities, as Lebanon is experiencing a prolonged and severe economic crises.

Passports and travel

You can apply for or renew your British passport from Lebanon

Check the Lebanon travel advice for passport validity requirements.

Healthcare in Lebanon

There are no reciprocal healthcare agreements between the UK and Lebanon.

Before coming to Lebanon, visit the heath section of our Travel Advice.

Medical treatment in Lebanon is not free. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation, as medical treatment in Lebanon can be expensive.

See the comprehensive List of Insurance Companies in Lebanon.

For a comprehensive list of hospitals, see the Syndicate of Hospitals in Lebanon website

NOTE: UK Travel insurance providers will not generally cover your healthcare costs if you live overseas.

You can also view [resources for LGBT people from the Lebanese Medical Association for Sexual Health


If you are on a prescription for any medication you should ensure you have a supply of it, or are able to obtain it when in Lebanon. Certain medicines may not be available in Lebanon (including major brands readily available in the UK), and you may be prohibited from taking them into Lebanon. You should consult your GP before travelling to Lebanon to find out about any alternative medication.

Read the guidance if you need to travel with medicines.

Working in Lebanon

If you are planning to move to Lebanon and work, you may need a visa.

To apply for a job you may need to provide:

  • Your British passport, which should be valid for at least 18 months.
  • UK police certificate (if relevant)
  • Your qualifications. For information on recognised qualifications, visit the Ministry of Education website

Studying in Lebanon

If you plan to study in Lebanon, you must meet all visa requirements before you travel. Check the Lebanese embassy in London website

For information on education in Lebanon, visit the Ministry of Education website


You should get professional advice on paying tax in Lebanon. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Lebanon

Read guidance on:


Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit cannot be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.


If you retire in Lebanon, you can claim your UK State Pension or new UK State Pension. Contact the International Pension Center for further information.

Life certificates for UK State Pensions:

If you get a ‘life certificate from the UK Pension Service, you must respond as soon as possible. Your payments may be suspended if you do not.

Money and banking

Lebanon is experiencing a prolonged and severe economic crises. See Lebanon Travel Advice for further details.

Residents of Lebanon are able to open a local bank account. Visit the Banque Du Liban website for a comprehensive list of banks and financial institutions in Lebanon.

To know more on taxation in Lebanon, visit the Ministry of Finance official portal.

The UK does not have a Double Taxation Agreement with Lebanon.

For other investment opportunities in the Lebanon, visit the UKDIT website and the Lebanese Ministry of Economy and Trade website.

Accommodation and buying property

British Nationals can buy a property in Lebanon. Check the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadastre in Lebanon.

See buying a property abroad.

Driving in Lebanon

Read the guidance on what actions you must do to drive legally in Lebanon:

If you’re asked for a letter authenticating, certifying or validating your UK driver’s licence, you should contact your UK issuing office (e.g. the DVLA)

If you wish to take your vehicle with you, read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK.

Disabled drivers

If you have a UK Blue Badge and live in Lebanon, you must return it to the original UK issuing authority.


You may be able to vote in some UK elections. You can:

Births, deaths, marriage and civil partnership


If your child is born in Lebanon, you should register the birth with the local authorities. You can then register with the UK authorities and apply for a UK birth certificate if you wish.

If your child has British nationality, you do not need to register the birth with the UK authorities to apply for a British passport.


If someone dies in Lebanon read our guidance on:

What to do if someone dies abroad

Bereavement guidance for Lebanon

English-speaking funeral directors in Lebanon

Marriage and civil partnership

Find out how you can get married or get a civil partnership abroad and ( to register your marriage in Lebanon.

Read the following guidance:


If you’re moving to Lebanon with your pet, read the guidance and ensure you comply with the regulations:


Dial 112 for the police, ambulance or fire brigade, or dial:

  • 140 for Red Cross
  • 175 for Fire Brigade
  • 125 for Civil Defence

Dial 112 to report a missing child.

If you have been the victim of a rape or sexual assault in Lebanon, read the Lebanon Rape and Sexual Assault in Lebanon: Information for Victims guidance. You can contact the local hotline number 1745 for assistance.

See also the Victim of Rape and Sexual Assault abroad guidance

If you’re the victim of a crime, have been arrested, or are affected by a crisis, contact the British Embassy in Lebanon

Read the guidance on international parental child abduction if your child may be at risk of this.

Returning to the UK

Read the guidance on returning to the UK permanently which includes information on bringing family members, tax and access to services.

Published 15 November 2022
Last updated 12 February 2021 + show all updates
  1. First published.

  2. New paragraph added under health related to Covid-19

  3. Added new section - Emergencies - that includes contact numbers of emergency services in Lebanon.