How civil society organisations can prepare for when the UK leaves the EU.
Use the government’s public information campaign and the 5 areas below to understand how leaving the EU could affect your organisation and what you can do to prepare.
1. If your organisation employs EU staff or has EU volunteers
The government has committed to safeguarding the rights of EU nationals residing in the UK. EU citizens will be entitled to apply for settled status in the UK, enabling them to continue to work and reside in Britain. There is also information available for EU citizens who arrive in the UK after exit.
2. If your organisation receives EU funding
As part of the Financial Settlement, the UK will continue to take part in all EU programmes for the rest of the 2014-2020 Multiannual Financial Framework.
In the event of no deal, the government will guarantee EU projects agreed before we leave the EU. Read the government’s guarantee for EU funded programmes for further information, including contact details and guidance on how the guarantee will operate for specific EU programmes. UK recipients of EU Direct Bid funds can also submit information about projects which may be eligible under the UK government’s guarantee.
3. If your organisation receives any personal data from the EU
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, it will impact how organisations exchange personal data. Follow our data protection guidance and visit the Information Commissioner’s Office website for further advice. You also need to make sure your organisation continues to be GDPR compliant.
4. If your organisation imports or exports goods with the EU
Read Government’s guidelines about trading with the EU if the UK leaves without a deal. This includes import and export processes that UK organisations trading with the EU would need to follow.
5. Customs, excise, VAT and regulatory changes
Read the government’s Customs, excise, VAT and regulatory changes you need to know about if there is no deal.
- Follow these steps to find other ways your organisation may need to prepare for EU exit
- Sign up for email alerts about EU Exit guidance for your organisation to stay up to date with the latest guidance, including updates on the pages mentioned above.
- If you have any concerns or queries on EU exit contact: email@example.com