How Universal Credit can help with housing costs and how claimants are expected to pay their landlord themselves.
This guide explains how Universal Credit supports claimants who need help with their housing costs.
It explains that money to help with housing costs may be included in the Universal Credit payment, and that claimants will need to pay this money to their landlord themselves. It also outlines the help that is available for people who may need more support in managing their money.
The guide also covers service charges and the support that is available for claimants who have a mortgage.
Part of the Universal Credit toolkit for partner organisations.
Published: 28 March 2013
Updated: 6 February 2017
- Added information and link to Money Advice Service money manager.
- Updated to reflect changes to Universal Credit from April 2016 (English only, Welsh to follow).
- Revised version with new information about the roll-out of Universal Credit.
- Updated to include the latest information about the expansion of Universal Credit
- Detail updated to include more information about the content of the document.
- First published.