Environmental management – guidance

Riverside ownership: rights and responsibilities

The guide 'Living on the edge' explains your rights and responsibilities of riverside ownership.


Living on the edge

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


If you own land or property next to a river, stream or ditch you are a ‘riparian landowner’ and this guide is for you.

This guide explains:

  • your rights and responsibilities as a riparian landowner
  • the roles of your risk management authority and other organisations you may need to work with
  • who is responsible for flood risk management and flood defences, and what that means in practice
  • how you can work with your risk management authority and other organisations to protect and improve the natural environment of rivers and streams

Changes to the law from 6 April 2016

On 6 April 2016, there were some changes to the law that affect this guide.

This guide says you need a flood defence consent from the Environment Agency in some circumstances. Instead, you need an environmental permit from the Environment Agency for work on or near a main river or sea defence.

Consents issued by local councils (unitary or county council where they act as a lead local flood authority) and internal drainage boards for work to ordinary watercourses remain unchanged.

For any other questions about this publication, please email enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk.