Drainage charges for occupiers of land in the 'Anglian' area

Check if you need to pay drainage charges, how much they are and how to pay.

Applies to England

The general drainage charge only applies to the Environment Agency’s ‘Anglian’ area, which is Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire and East Anglia areas.

The charge applies to occupiers of:

  • agricultural land and buildings which fall outside the boundary of an internal drainage board.
  • areas participating in a Defra scheme, such as ‘set aside’ land
  • commercial woodlands
  • woodlands planted under a Defra or Forestry Commission scheme

Annual general drainage charge invoices

The Environment Agency will send you an annual invoice around 1 April each year for the period 1 April to 31 March.

The occupier of the land on 1 April must pay the full annual charge.

If you have a mixture of both chargeable and non-chargeable land you will only pay the charge for the chargeable land.

Charges for 2022 to 2023

Regional Flood and Coastal Committee Charge (pence per hectare)
Anglian Great Ouse 214.60
Anglian eastern 392.94
Anglian northern 277.77

The money raised from the charge contributes towards the cost of maintaining and improving main rivers, sea defences and tidal embankments that protect low lying areas.

Work carried out can include dredging to remove silt, weed clearance and maintaining structures such as barriers, sluice gates and pumping stations.

If you have any questions about your charges or your invoice contact the Environment Agency.

Contact the Environment Agency

General enquiries

National Customer Contact Centre
PO Box 544
S60 1BY


Telephone 03708 506 506

Telephone from outside the UK (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm GMT) +44 (0) 114 282 5312

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

The impact of COVID-19 means you may experience some delays in responses.

Published 1 October 2013
Last updated 22 March 2022 + show all updates
  1. Updated charges for 2022 to 2023.

  2. Charges updated for 2021 to 2022.

  3. First published.