There are restrictions on what activities and developments you can do if your business might affect a designated or protected area.
Designated or protected areas include:
- National Parks
- Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs)
- Marine Conservation Zones
- Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs)
- Special Areas of Conservation (SACs)
- Special Protection Areas (SPAs)
- Ramsar sites
- local wildlife sites
Search for protected areas
Check if your business is next to a protected area in:
If your business is in or next to a designated area
Contact your local council to find out what restrictions apply to your business.
When opening a new business that may affect a designated area you may need to:
- get permission for your site from your local council
- carry out an ecological survey, eg of local wildlife to find out if there are any protected species that might be affected by your business
- carry out an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
Newly designated areas
You’ll be contacted about any new restrictions if your business might affect a newly designated area.