The AAIB Bulletin is a compilation of AAIB reports and is published on the second Thursday of the month.
PDF, 12.7MB, 150 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
September Bulletin 9/2017
AAIB Field Investigations
A field investigation is an independent investigation in which AAIB investigators collect, record and analyse evidence.
The process may include, attending the scene of the accident or serious incident; interviewing witnesses; reviewing documents, procedures and practices; examining aircraft wreckage or components; and analysing recorded data.
The investigation, which can take a number of months to complete, will conclude with a published report.
Commercial Air Transport - Fixed wing
- Airbus A319-111 (G-EZEW), inadvertent flap retraction, on departure from Bristol Airport, 30 June 2016
- Airbus A320-214 (G-EZWX), diversion due to smoke in cockpit, 28 November 2016
- DHC-8-402 (G-PRPC), in-flight loss of engine access panel, on departure from Manchester Airport, 14 December 2016
General Aviation – Fixed Wing
- Cessna 150M (G-BDZC) loss of control on takeoff, Bourn Airfield, Cambridgeshire, 17 October 2016
- SZD-51-1 ‘Junior’ (G-CLJK) and Cessna 150L (G-CSFC), mid-air collision, 7.5 nm south of Leicester Airport, 4 December 2016
AAIB Correspondence Investigations
These are reports on accidents and incidents which were not subject to a Field Investigation.
They are wholly, or largely, based on information provided by the aircraft commander in an Aircraft Accident Report Form (AARF) and in some cases additional information from other sources.
The accuracy of the information provided cannot be assured.
Commercial Air Transport
- Agusta A109S (G-PBWR), left side horizontal stabiliser failed in flight, Stansted Airport, Essex, 5 May 2017
- Agusta AW139 (PH-EUJ), landing on the wrong helideck, Leman 27B Platform, North Sea, 19 February 2017
- Airbus A340-642 (G-VGAS), warning of excess cabin altitude during the cruise, en route from London Heathrow Airport to John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York City, USA, 23 February 2017
- Dornier 328-120 (D-CTRJ), runway excursion on landing, Sumburgh Airport, Shetland, 26 January 2017
- Aero AT-3 R100 (G-SWLL), loss of control during takeoff, Sywell Aerodrome, Northamptonshire, 10 May 2017
- Aero AT-3 R100 (G-SYEL), nose landing gear collapsed following several bounces on landing at Sywell Aerodrome, Northamptonshire, 27 June 2017
- Beech 76 Duchess (G-TWNN), wheels-up landing, Wellsbourne Mountford Airfield, Warwickshire, 3 May 2017
- Beechcraft 35 (F-BASF), gear-up landing, Jersey Airport, 13 May 2017
- Cessna 195 (N3458V), aircraft became inverted after unintentional application of the brakes during a bounced landing, Devon, 23 April 2017
- Cessna A152 (G-BOSO), nosewheel collapse on landing, Redhill Airport, Surrey, 19 April 2017
- Cessna 525A (N525DT), runway excursion on landing, Gloucestershire Airport, 17 May 2017
- DH87B Hornet Moth (G-AESE), ground loop on landing, Coventry Airport, 30 July 2016
- Extra EA 300/LC (G-GOFF), runway overrun on landing, Foxborough Farm airstrip, Norfolk, 17 June 2017
- Falco F8L (G-CYLL), nose landing gear collapsed while landing, Breighton Airfield, Yorkshire, 17 June 2017
- Flight Design CTSW (G-CFDO), runway excursion on landing, Causey Park Airfield, Northumberland, 13 June 2017
- Gulfstream AA-5B (G-BOZZ), nose landing gear damaged on landing, Weston-on-the-green, Bicester, Oxfordshire, 18 May 2017
- Jodel D120A (G-BYBE), ground loop on landing, MOD St Athan, South Wales, 13 May 2017
- Jodel D120 (G-DIZO), aircraft ground looped on landing and landing gear collapsed, Lee-on-Solent Airfield, Hampshire, 15 April 2017
- Luscombe 8E (G-BRGF), landing mishap resulting in the aircraft coming to rest on its back, Old Buckenham Airfield, Norfolk, 11 June 2017
- Luscombe 8E (G-BSHH), overturned while rejecting takeoff due to power loss, Porthtowan Airstrip, Cornwall, 8 July 2017
- Maule MXT-7-160 (G-BUXD), aircraft stalled during a go-around, Eaglescott Airfield, Devon, 28 April 2017
- Piper PA-24-250 (G-BYTI), landing gear collapsed after landing, Retford Gamston Airfield, Nottinghamshire, 21 May 2017
- Piper PA-28-151 (G-LUSH), engine failure after takeoff, near Blackbushe Airport, Surrey, 17 April 2017
- Piper PA-28-161 (G-BNRG), runway Overrun, Sandown Airport, Isle of Wight, 7 May 2017
- Piper PA-28-180 (G-HOCK), nose gear collapse after hard landing, Isle of Wight Sandown Airport, 30 June 2017
- Rans S6-116 (G-BUOK), stall immediately after takeoff in tailwind conditions, Bagby (Thirsk) Airfield, Yorkshire, 20 June 2017
- Rans S6-ES (G-BZKO), forced landing due to engine failure, Newtonards Airport, Co. Down, 23 March 2017
- Rans S6-ESD (Modified) (G-MYIS), aircraft struck a pole due to an uncommanded loss of height prior to touchdown, Northrepps Airfield, Norfolk, 27 May 2017
- Reims Cessna FR172F (G-DRAM), left main gear collapsed on landing, Prestwick Airport, 31 May 2017
- Slingsby T67M MkII (G-BNSP), nosewheel and axle assembly fell apart during low speed taxi, Turweston Aerodrome, Northamptonshire, 17 April 2017
- Smith DSA-1 Miniplane (G-BTGJ), aircraft stalled during landing flare and landing gear collapsed, Henstridge Airfield, Somerset, 23 April 2017
- Spitfire MK.T IX (G-CICK), landing gear retracted on landing, Sywell Aerodrome, Northamptonshire, 16 June 2017
- Starduster Too SA300 (G-BNNA), runway excursion during landing, Keyston Airfield, Cambridgeshire, 20 June 2017
- Stolp Starduster Too SA300 (G-JIII), landing gear collapsed during forced landing, Raydale, North Yorkshire, 14 May 2017
- YAK-52 (G-SPUT), slid sideways down a slope whilst taxiing, Brown Shutters Airfield, Somerset, 13 April 2017
- Zenair CH701UL (G-CBMW), forced landing due to engine failure, Rossall Field Airfield, Lancashire, 6 May 2017
Sport Aviation / Balloons
- Letov LK-2M Sluka (G-MZNZ), loss of power on takeoff and unsuccessful forced landing, Oakley, Bedfordshire, 31 May 2017
- Magni M16C (G-CIZK), loss of control while landing by student pilot led to gyroplane’s rotors striking the ground, Popham Airfield, Hampshire, 17 June 2017
- MTOsport (G-HOTC), loss of control during takeoff, Shobdon Aerodrome, Herefordshire, 8 May 2017
- Pegasus Quantum 15-912 (G-CBSP), loss of control on landing, Eshott Airfield, Northumberland, 18 June 2017
- Pegasus Xl-Q (G-MGCB), heavy landing led to loss of directional control before aircraft overturned, Headon Airfield, Nottinghamshire, 25 March 2017
- Quik GT450 (G-CECA), struck terrain during attempted go-around, St Michaels Airfield, Lancashire, 7 May 2017
- Quik GT450 (G-CFEX), low speed runway excursion during a training flight, Shobdon Airfield, Herefordshire, 19 June 2017
- Rotorsport UK Calidus (G-GRYN), loss of control during touchdown, Turweston Aerodrome, Northamptonshire, 3 July 2017
- Tecnam P2008-JC (G-OLIC), aircraft bounced during landing and nose leg collapsed on second touchdown, Lydd Airport, Kent, 9 July 2017
This section contains Addenda, Corrections and a list of the ten most recent Air Accident reports published by the AAIB.