• The honours system

    Nominate someone for an honour or read the New Years honours list - BEMs, MBEs, OBEs, knighthoods, outstanding achievements and contributions to public life

  • Set up a charity

    When you need to register with the Charity Commission - voluntary registration, unregistered charities, income, tax relief

  • Donate to charity

    Find a charity and increase the value of your donation through Gift Aid - how to donate, paying tax, donating to charity in your will, tax records

  • Complain about a charity

    Who to contact and how to take your complaint further - what you can complain about, regulators, Charity Commission, Fundraising Standards Board, Advertising Standards Authority

  • Become a magistrate

    How to volunteer as a magistrate, who can and can't apply, the application form, and what magistrates do in court

  • Volunteer placements, rights and expenses

    Find volunteering opportunities, and volunteer rights, pay, expenses, age limits, criminal record checks

  • Get involved

    Find out how you can engage with government directly, and take part locally, nationally or internationally - read policies about how government is increasing participation

  • The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service

    Nominate a group of volunteers for The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service including eligibility and supporting a nomination

  • Apply for funding for community projects

    Contact your council about funding and grants for your project - activities for young people, volunteer programmes, development of communal facilities

  • Apply for Youth Opportunity Funding

    The Youth Opportunities Fund provides money for young people to use on activities and projects - apply to your local council

  • Apply for a Bevin Boys veterans badge

    Get a veterans badge for Bevin Boys miners during World War 2 - eligibility, widows, application

  • Apply for a public appointment

    Find a voluntary or paid position with public bodies, eg non-executive director, trustee, members of advisory council

  • Apply for a Women's Land Army or Women's Timber Corps veterans badge

    Women's Land Army (WLA) or the Women's Timber Corps (WTC) veterans badge - how to apply and eligibility

  • Charities and tax

    Tax exemptions and reliefs for charities - apply for charitable status, reclaim tax on Gift Aid, tax-efficient giving, profits and expenditure

  • Donate and volunteer to aid humanitarian disasters

    Help by giving your money, time and skills if there's been a natural disaster or humanitarian emergency overseas

  • Make a donation to support members of the armed forces

    Donate to one of the armed forces charities or send someone you know a package - RAF, Navy, Army, Royal Marines, Operations Welfare Fund, Armed Forces Day

Additional detailed guidance from government departments