As a charity you do not pay VAT when you buy some goods and services.

Community amateur sports clubs (CASCs) do not qualify for the same VAT reliefs as charities.

How to get VAT relief

You must prove to the person who’s selling the goods or services to you that you’re eligible for relief. You do not need to be registered for VAT.

When you must register for VAT

You must register for VAT if your charity’s VAT taxable turnover (the total value of everything you sell that is not exempt from VAT) is more than £90,000.

You can choose to register if it’s below this, for example if you want to reclaim VAT on your supplies.

Get help with VAT

Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you have questions about VAT for your charity.