Your charity or community amateur sports club (CASC) can use online services to claim:
- Gift Aid, including under the small donations scheme
- tax back on other income, such as bank interest
Online services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any problems with this service.
Before you start
Your charity or CASC will need to:
- be recognised as a charity for tax purposes
- add Charities Online to your HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) online account
How to claim
You’ll be asked to attach a ‘schedule spreadsheet’ - download and fill it in before you log in. You can claim for up to 1,000 donations on each spreadsheet.
You can also claim through eligible software, like a database.
When to claim
Your deadline to claim depends on what you’re claiming on and how your charity is set up. You must keep records for 2 years after the deadline.
Register with Charities Online
If you don’t have an online account with HMRC you’ll need to register and enrol by selecting ‘Charities’ as a new user.
To register and enrol you’ll need to enter your charity’s:
- HMRC reference (up to 5 numbers, starts with 1 or 2 letters)
- customer account number (add a zero to the start if it’s 9 digits) or the last 4 digits of your bank account number
Your activation code
When you enrol, you’ll be sent an activation code through the post. It can take a week to arrive and is valid for 28 days. Activate Charities Online by logging in to Online Services and entering your code.