You can get an armed forces veterans badge if you’ve served in any of the UK armed forces - there’s no fee.
You can also apply for a medal if you’re eligible.
You can apply if you were in the:
- Royal Navy
- Royal Marines
- Royal Air Force (RAF)
- volunteer or regular reserves
You can’t apply if you:
- served in the armed forces of another country
- served alongside the UK armed forces, for example in the Canadian Navy or Royal Australian Air Force
If you’re applying on behalf of someone who’s died
You can only apply on behalf of a veteran who’s died if you get either:
- a War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension
- compensation under the Survivors Guaranteed Income Payment (SGIP)
How to apply
Download and fill in the application for an armed forces veterans badge.
You’ll need to give as much information as possible, such as:
- the force you served in, for example the army or Royal Navy
- service number
- period of service
Send the form by post or fax to the Ministry of Defence (MOD) Medal Office - the address is on the form.
You can also apply using the freephone helpline.
After you’ve applied
You’ll usually get your veterans badge within 6 to 8 weeks of applying.
You can apply for a replacement badge if you lose it.