Apply for a veterans badge
You can get an armed forces veterans badge if you’ve served in any of the UK armed forces - there’s no fee.
You can apply if you were in the:
- Royal Navy
- Royal Marines
- Royal Air Force (RAF)
- volunteer or regular reserves
You cannot apply if you:
- served in the armed forces of another country
- served alongside the UK armed forces, for example in the Canadian Navy or Royal Australian Air Force
If you’re applying on behalf of someone who’s died
You can only apply on behalf of a veteran who’s died if you get either:
- a War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension
- compensation under the Survivors Guaranteed Income Payment (SGIP)
How to apply
Download and fill in the application for an armed forces veterans badge.
You can also call the enquiries line to get a paper application form sent to you.
Medals and veterans badges enquiries
Freephone (UK): 0800 085 3600
Telephone (from overseas): +44 141 224 3600
Find out about call charges
You’ll need to give as much information on the form as possible, such as:
- the force you served in, for example the army or Royal Navy
- service number
- period of service
Post the form to the Ministry of Defence (MOD) Medal Office - the address is on the form. Do not send the form by email.
After you’ve applied
You’ll usually get your veterans badge within 6 to 8 weeks of applying.
You can also apply for a medal if you’re eligible.
If you lose your badge, you can apply for a replacement.
If you need to contact MOD about your veterans badge application, you can phone, fax or send an email to email@example.com.
You cannot apply for a veterans badge by email.