Replace a medal

You can only get a replacement medal from the Ministry of Defence (MOD) if it was stolen or destroyed, for example in a fire or flood. The medal must have been awarded for service after World War 1. You’ll have to pay for the replacement medal plus a fee.

You’ll need to show proof by providing a copy of either a:

  • police crime report 
  • successful insurance claim listing the individual items

You can also buy replacement medals from a licensed medal dealer.

There’s a different process if you’re replacing a veterans badge.

How to apply 

Download and fill in the medal application form to ask for a replacement medal. Post the form to the MOD Medal Office, along with:

  • a letter explaining how the medal was stolen or destroyed
  • a copy of the police report or insurance claim

The address is on the form.

Contact your unit’s human resources (HR) department if you’re currently serving in the armed forces.

After you’ve applied

You’ll get a letter from the Medal Office - usually within 10 working days of when your application’s received.

You’ll be told how much the replacement will cost and how to pay if your application’s successful. The cost depends on the type of medal. It includes an administration fee.

You’ll get the replacement within 4 weeks from the Medal Office getting your payment.