Apply for a UK merchant navy medal
You can apply for a UK merchant navy medal if you were a member of the merchant navy and you:
- served in a vessel used to support the UK armed forces
- meet the eligibility requirements for the medal you’re applying for
How to apply
If you’re applying for someone else’s medal
You can apply for someone else if either:
- they’ve died
- you have lasting power of attorney
You must include a copy of the death certificate or your lasting power of attorney.
If the veteran has died, you must be the official next of kin. The general rules are:
- the person’s spouse or civil partner has first claim to the medal, and then the eldest child
- if there’s no spouse or child, the eldest grandchild is entitled to apply
After you’ve applied
You’ll get a decision within 30 working days of your application being received.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help with your application.
Replace a lost or stolen medal
You’ll need to complete the application form if your medal is lost or has been stolen.