You can get an armed forces veterans badge if you’ve served in any of the UK armed forces - there’s no fee.
You can apply if you were in the:
- Royal Navy
- Royal Marines
- Royal Air Force (RAF)
- volunteer or regular reserves
You can’t apply if you:
- served in the armed forces of another country
- served alongside the UK armed forces, eg in the Canadian Navy or Royal Australian Air Force
If you’re applying on behalf of someone who’s died
You can only apply on behalf of a veteran who’s died if you get either:
- a War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension
- compensation under the Survivors Guaranteed Income Payment (SGIP)
How to apply
Download and fill in the application for an armed forces veterans badge.
You’ll need to give as much information as possible, such as:
- type of service, eg army or Royal Navy
- service number
- period of service
Send the form by post, fax or email to the Ministry of Defence (MOD) Medal Office - the address is on the form.
You can also apply using the freephone helpline.
After you’ve applied
You’ll usually get your veterans badge within 6 to 8 weeks of sending the application form.
You can apply for a replacement badge if you lose it.