The British High Commission in Ottawa maintains and develops relations between the UK and Canada.

When calling one of our offices in Canada you may hear a message stating that our offices are closed. However, we remain available 24/7. If you are in need of urgent assistance, please stay on the line and select the option for ‘calling about an emergency involving a British National’ to speak to an officer.

We work closely with the Canadian government and partners across the country to develop and maintain a wide range of substantive partnerships of real value to both countries. These partnerships cover business, defence, climate change, science and innovation, education, and culture.

Find out more on our UK and Canada news page.

We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting Canada.

You can access UK government services while in Canada.

Urgent assistance

If you’re travelling in Canada, see our Canada Travel Advice about coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you’re in Canada and you need advice which is not covered by reading our travel advice then you can contact us online.

If you’re in Canada and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +1 613 237 1530. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British person in Canada, call 020 7008 5000 (24/7, 365 days a year).

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Apply online for an emergency travel document.

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen.

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

Other consular services

Notarial and documentary services

See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Canada.

We also provide services in:

Our people

Susannah Goshko CMG

British High Commissioner to Canada

Contact us

British High Commission Ottawa

80 Elgin Street
Ottawa Ontario K1P 5K7

+1 613 237 1530/+44 20 7008 5000

Use our contact form for consular enquiries:

Access and opening times