The British Consulate-General in Vancouver represents the UK government in British Columbia, Yukon and Northwest Territories and provides services to British nationals.

We also provide services at the British High Commission Ottawa and consulates in Montreal, Toronto and Calgary.

Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Vancouver and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call +1 604 683 4421. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Vancouver, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British Consulate-General in Vancouver can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document. .

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to book an appointment for an emergency travel document at British Consulate-General Vancouver

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Canada, see travel advice for Canada.

Get a visa

The British Consulate-General in Vancouver can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We don’t issue certificates of no impediment, affirmations or affidavits of marital status. We also don’t perform marriages or civil partnerships for British nationals. For information on getting married in Canada, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death in Canada. You can’t register a birth or death at the consulate or high commission.

Bereavement support

If you’re in the country where the death occurred, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad as well as our bereavement guide to assist those bereaved following the death of a british national in Canada

List of funeral directors

The Canada Funerals page or Funeral Home Directory may be able to help you with funeral service arrangements. There is a large number of funeral directors in Canada and they will all use English as their main language though French is also common in Quebec.

Medical facilities and practitioners

In any major city in Canada there are a number of pharmacies offering commonly used medication and available advice from pharmacists. There are also large numbers of hospitals and urgent care locations available throughout Canada. Visit this guide to find a hospital in your area of interest. A general guide to medical services in Canada can be accessed under the Health section of our Travel Advice page.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Canada. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

British Consulate-General Vancouver does not provide legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalisation.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

List of lawyers and interpreters

Use our list of English speaking lawyers and interpreters if you need help with official transactions in Canada. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate General or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

General information on living in Canada

What our consulates cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we also cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Canada

Our people

Contact us

British Consulate-General Vancouver

1111 Melville Street, Suite 800
Vancouver British Columbia V6E 3V6

Access and opening times

Media enquiries, British Consulate-General Vancouver

Claire Wallace
1111 Melville Street, Suite 800
Vancouver British Columbia V6E 3V6

Access and opening times

Corporate information