The British Consulate-General in Montreal represents the UK government in Quebec and provides services to British nationals.

We also provide services at the British High Commission Ottawa and consulates in Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver.

Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Montreal and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call +1 514 866 5863 . If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Montreal, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British Consulate-General can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

British Consulate-General Montreal doesn’t process emergency travel documents applications. Appointments for this service can be made at British High Commission Ottawa.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Canada, see travel advice for Canada.

Get a visa

The British Consulate-General can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We don’t issue certificates of no impediment, affirmations or affidavits of marital status. We also don’t perform marriages or civil partnerships for British nationals. For information on getting married in Canada, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death in Canada. You can’t register a birth or death at the consulate or high commission.

Bereavement support

If you’re in the country where the death occurred, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad as well as our bereavement guide to assist those bereaved following the death of a british national in Canada.

List of funeral directors

The Canada Funerals page or Funeral Home Directory may be able to help you with funeral service arrangements. There is a large number of funeral directors in Canada and they will all use English as their main language though French is also common in Quebec.

Medical facilities and practitioners

In any major city in Canada there are a number of pharmacies offering commonly used medication and available advice from pharmacists. There are also large numbers of hospitals and urgent care locations available throughout Canada. Visit this guide to find a hospital in your area of interest. A general guide to medical services in Canada can be accessed under the Health section of our Travel Advice page.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Canada. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.
###Notarial and documentary services

See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

British Consulate General Montreal does not provide legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalisation.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

List of lawyers and interpreters

Use our list of English speaking lawyers and interpreters if you need help with official transactions in Canada. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate General or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Canada

What our consulates cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we also cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Canada

Our people

Contact us

British Consulate-General Montreal

2000 McGill College Avenue
Suite 1940

Montreal Quebec H3A 3H3

Access and opening times

Media enquiries, British Consulate-General Montreal

Ingrid Ravary
2000 McGill College Avenue, Suite 1940
Montreal Quebec H3A 3H3

Access and opening times

Corporate information