Foreign travel advice


Important COVID-19 Travel

Under current UK COVID-19 restrictions, you must stay at home. It is illegal to travel abroad for holidays. Check the rules in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Do not travel unless you have a legally permitted reason to do so. In England, you must complete a declaration form for international travel (except for travel to Ireland).

Check our advice for all the countries you will visit or transit through. Some countries have closed borders, and any country may further restrict travel or bring in new rules with little warning.

To enter or return to the UK from abroad (except from Ireland), you must follow all the rules for entering the UK. These include providing your journey and contact details, and evidence of a negative COVID-19 test before you travel. When you arrive, you must quarantine and take additional COVID-19 tests. This will take place in a managed quarantine hotel if you enter England from a red list travel ban country, or enter Scotland.


The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all but essential travel to Canada based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks

The requirement to self-isolate on return to the UK from Canada remains in place. See guidance on entering or returning to the UK.

The FCDO is not advising those already travelling in Canada to leave at this time. Travellers should follow the advice of the local authorities on how best to protect themselves and others, including any measures that they bring in to control the virus. You should contact your tour operator or airline if you have any questions about your return journey. From 31 January to 30 April 2021, Air Canada, WestJet, Air Transat and Sunwing have suspended flights to Mexico and the Caribbean.

Travel to Canada is subject to entry restrictions

Entry to Canada is limited, except for temporary foreign workers, most international students, Canadian citizens and permanent residents or their immediate and extended families, provided they remain in Canada for 15 days or more.

If you’re eligible to enter Canada, you will need to self-isolate for 14 days after arrival, and prior to departure you must present the airline with a negative test performed within 72 hours of boarding your flight. This will apply to travellers by land from 15 February. From 22 February, travellers arriving in Canada by land and air will be required to take an additional test on arrival, and another toward the end of the 14 day self-isolation period. International travellers arriving at Toronto Pearson airport are already required to take an additional COVID-19 test on arrival. From 22 February, air travellers will also be required to spend 3 nights in a government authorised hotel. Transport Canada has issued updated guidance for people planning to travel to Canada.

See Entry requirements for more information before you plan to travel.

Preparing for your return journey to the UK

If you’re returning to the UK from overseas, you will need to:

If your return journey to the UK transits another country, you should check whether it is subject to a travel ban or any other additional requirements. If so, contact your travel provider.

Check our advice on foreign travel during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and sign up for email alerts for this travel advice.

If you’re planning travel to Canada, find out what you need to know about coronavirus there in the Coronavirus section.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, it is more important than ever to get travel insurance and check it provides sufficient cover. See the FCDO’s guidance on foreign travel insurance.

For information about COVID-19 vaccines, see the Coronavirus page.

Around 724,000 British nationals visit Canada each year. Most visits are trouble free.

Visitors travelling to Canada by air are now expected to get an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) to enter Canada. See Entry requirements

Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Canada. See Terrorism

Severe snow storms are a regular occurrence during winter. Monitor local news and weather reports and visit Environment Canada. See Local travel and Natural disasters

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.