We are the principal UK diplomatic post in Canada. Along with consulates general in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Calgary, we are responsible for all aspects of the bilateral relationship with Canada.

We work closely with the Canadian government and partners across the country to develop and maintain a wide range of substantive partnerships of real value to both countries. These partnerships cover business, defence, science and innovation, education, and culture. We also support the large number of British nationals who visit or live in Canada.

Our Services

If you or someone you know is in urgent need of consular assistance, or if you have lost your passport and are due to travel in the next 24 hours, please call us for immediate advice and assistance. If you're in the UK and a friend or relative needs our help overseas, please call the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London for practical support and advice.

Support for British nationals

We offer assistance following the death, hospitalisation, arrest, or other serious incident involving a British national, and provide information on local lawyers and prisons.

Find out more about the assistance we provide

Emergency travel documents for British nationals

We may be able to provide an emergency travel document (ETD) if you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

You can apply for an ETD if you’re a British national outside the UK and your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged, or expired. It doesn’t guarantee entry to every country; read what an ETD does and what you need to provide to get one. Please call us as soon as possible if: you are due to travel within the next 24 hours, or you have never held a British passport, or if you are applying on behalf of a child.

Make an appointment for this service in Ottawa, Toronto or Vancouver

Canada Consular Fees

Details of Consular Fees. Fees for consular services are paid at the High Commission/Consulate by Visa/MasterCard in local currency on the day of the application.

List of lawyers

A list of lawyers is available for British nationals who need legal advice. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British High Commission or the UK government.

Prisoner pack

We provide information on the legal and prison system to British nationals who are detained.

Bereavement Guide

The Bereavement Guide provides information to assist those bereaved following the death of a british national in Canada.

Services not offered at our offices in Canada but available elsewhere

Visa enquiries

Check if you need a visa for the United Kingdom and apply to UK Visas and Immigration.

Passport renewal

Find out how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport from Her Majesty’s Passport Office.

Births, deaths and marriages

Find out how to register a birth or death overseas, and documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.

Notarial and documentary services

Information on how to obtain documentary and notarial services in Canada.

Travel Advice

For information on staying safe and avoiding problems when living or travelling abroad, including details of entry requirements and local laws and customs, see our travel advice for Canada and other countries in the region.

Living in Canada

For information on how to access services not provided by the High Commission, such as healthcare and education, see our guides to living in Canada.

Our people

Howard  Drake OBE

Howard Drake OBE

British High Commissioner to Canada

Contact us

British High Commission Ottawa

80 Elgin Street
Ottawa Ontario K1P 5K7

Access and opening times

British Consulate-General Calgary

5100-150 6 Ave SW
Calgary Alberta T2P 3Y7

Access and opening times

British Consulate-General Montreal

2000 McGill College Avenue
Suite 1940

Montreal Quebec H3A 3H3

Access and opening times

British Consulate-General Toronto

777 Bay Street, Suite 2800
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2G2

Public access is by appointment only.

Access and opening times

British Consulate-General Vancouver

1111 Melville Street, Suite 800
Vancouver British Columbia V6E 3V6

Access and opening times