British High Commissioner to Canada
We are the principal UK diplomatic post in Canada. Along with consulates general in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Calgary, we are responsible for all aspects of the bilateral relationship with Canada.
We work closely with the Canadian government and partners across the country to develop and maintain a wide range of substantive partnerships of real value to both countries. These partnerships cover business, defence, science and innovation, education, and culture. We also support the large number of British nationals who visit or live in Canada.
Visit our travel advice for Canada for information, news and updates, to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling abroad.
Passports and emergency travel documents
How to renew or replace your British passport if you are outside the UK and information on getting replacement travel documents if your passport is lost or stolen.
For information on whether you require a visa for the United Kingdom and how to apply, go to the UK Border Agency website.
Living in Canada
Information for British nationals living in Canada who need information about services that are not provided by our high commission or consulates, but that you may find useful in specific circumstances.
Births, deaths and marriages
Understanding your legal requirements in Canada and how you can register a birth or death, and information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
Visit the Legalisation Office website for information on how to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine, so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.
Notarial and documentary services
Information about the notarial and documentary services available at the British High Commission or Consulates-General in Canada. UK law says we have to charge for some services. See our list of consular fees.
List of lawyers
A list of English speaking lawyers who may be able to help you with official transactions in Canada. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British High Commission or the UK government
Explanation of the prison system in Canada for British nationals.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- issue emergency passports (emergency travel documents)
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- provide details of local lawyers, interpreters, doctors and funeral directors
- do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
What our consulate cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
Deputy Head of Mission, British High Commission Ottawa
British Consul General in Toronto
British Consul General in Montreal
British Consul General in Calgary
British Consul General in Vancouver
Defence Adviser, Canada
British Consulate-General Toronto
777 Bay Street, Suite 2800
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2G2
Switchboard +1 416 593 1290
Facsmile +1 416 593 1229
Telephone: 9:00am to 4:00pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays). Emergency consular service for British nationals is available out of hours.
Public access is by appointment only.
British Consulate-General Calgary