Vehicle manufacturing and modification

The law on converting or making modifications to vehicles, vehicle manufacturing classification.


  1. Trade licence plates

    Trade licence plates - who can use them, when they can be used and how to get a trade licence

  2. Quad bikes: the rules

    To drive a road legal quad bike you must have it approved, registered, taxed and given an MOT if needed

  3. Apply for a vehicle test or certificate for a lorry or trailer

    Send test and certificate forms using the technical application submission (TAS) service, including first time tests, notifiable alterations and replacing plating or test documents

  4. Apply for Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA)

    Apply for an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) test for cars, goods vehicles, buses and coaches, and trailers on the technical application submission (TAS) service

  5. Change a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) plated details or notify alterations

    Send details of notifiable alterations or apply for a change of plated details of a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) or trailer of over 3.5 tonnes.

See more services in this topic

Guidance and regulation

  1. Convert a vehicle into a motorhome
  2. Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) scheme guide
  3. Classifying vehicles, parts and accessories
  4. Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) inspection manual: cars
  5. Vehicle approval and specialist test locations
See more guidance and regulation in this topic

News and communications

Research and statistics

  1. Vehicle Market Surveillance Unit programme results, 2017
  2. Vehicle safety defect investigations, recalls and collision investigations data for Great Britain
  3. Vehicle approval, alteration and identity check data for Great Britain
See more research and statistics in this topic

Policy papers and consultations

  1. Regulating CO2 emission standards for new cars and vans if there's no Brexit deal
  2. Improving air quality: reducing emissions from machinery
  3. Road vehicles: improving air quality and safety
  4. Motorcycles: implementing EU regulation 168/2013
  5. EU proposed regulation for the type approval and market surveilance of 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles and quadricycles
See more policy papers and consultations in this topic

Transparency and freedom of information releases

  1. Annual SVA and IVA numbers for Japanese imported vehicles (F0003966)
See more transparency and freedom of information releases in this topic