You must apply for vehicle approval if you’ve:

Get a vehicle approved

You can get a single vehicle or small number of vehicles approved through:

You can no longer apply for a Pre-Registration Inspection (PRI). You must get your vehicle approved instead.

Vehicle type approval

It’s also possible to get approval for a type of vehicle, rather than each individual vehicle.

Only the vehicle manufacturer or their authorised representative can apply for this.

From 1 January 2021, manufacturers or their representatives will need to apply for provisional GB type approval to sell or register vehicles in England, Scotland and Wales.

Get help

Contact the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you need help with IVA or MSVA.

Contact the VCA if you need help or information about:

  • provisional approval
  • European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA)
  • European Community Small Series Type Approval (ECSSTA)
  • Mutual Recognition scheme

Telephone: 0300 330 5797
Find out about call charges