You must apply for vehicle approval if you’ve:
- built a vehicle
- rebuilt a vehicle
- radically altered a vehicle
- reconstructed a classic vehicle
- imported a vehicle
Get a vehicle approved
You can get a single vehicle or small number of vehicles approved through:
- Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA)
- Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) if you’re making or importing a single 2, 3 or smaller 4-wheeled vehicle
- GB conversion IVA scheme if you’re importing a vehicle that’s been approved and registered in the EU
You can no longer apply for a Pre-Registration Inspection (PRI). You must get your vehicle approved instead.
Vehicle type approval
It’s also possible to get approval for a type of vehicle, rather than each individual vehicle.
Only the vehicle manufacturer or their authorised representative can apply for this.
From 1 January 2021, manufacturers or their representatives will need to apply for provisional GB type approval to sell or register vehicles in England, Scotland and Wales.
Contact the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you need help with IVA or MSVA.
Contact the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) if you need help or information about: