Voluntary approval

Voluntary Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) is similar to Statutory IVA but:

  • you can use it if your vehicle has already been registered in the UK
  • you will not have the same rights as with Statutory IVA

You’ll need to choose whether to use the basic or normal level of Voluntary IVA.

If you drive a taxi, your licensing authority will tell you what level you need to apply for.

Use Statutory IVA instead if your vehicle:

  • has not been registered in the UK before
  • has been registered in the UK, but has been modified significantly since then

Cost of the schemes

You have to pay a fee for Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to inspect your vehicle.

How to apply

Download and fill in the right application form for your vehicle. Send it to the address on the form.

What happens next

DVSA will carry out an inspection of the vehicle. If it passes, you’ll get a ‘Confirmation of Compliance’ notification (not an approval certificate).

Find out more

Read the DVSA guide on the IVA scheme.