Motorcycle single vehicle approval

Your motorcycle, 3-wheeled or light 4-wheeled vehicle must have a provisional GB type approval in England, Scotland and Wales.

If your vehicle does not have a provisional GB type approval you must use the motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) scheme to approve your vehicle.

You must also use the MSVA scheme if your vehicle has been radically altered or built using a mixture of parts from previously registered vehicles. For example:

  • amateur built vehicles
  • rebuilt vehicles
  • vehicles converted to a different wheelplan

Eligibility for MSVA

You can use the MSVA scheme for vehicles that:

  • are under 10 years old
  • have not been registered before in the UK
  • do not have ECWVTA or provisional UK vehicle type approval

The following types of vehicle are eligible:

  • 2-wheeled mopeds
  • 3-wheeled mopeds
  • light quadricycles
  • solo motorcycles
  • motorcycle combinations
  • motor tricycles
  • heavy quadricycles

These vehicle types are defined in the foreword of the MSVA inspection manual.

If your vehicle is damaged

If your vehicle is classed as ‘seriously damaged’ you cannot register or tax it with DVLA. You will not be refunded any money you spent on vehicle approval.

Serious damage means the vehicle cannot be repaired. For UK vehicles this means it’s a category A or B insurance write-off.

For imported vehicles, it might say something like ‘statutory write-off’, ‘scrapped’ or ‘non-repairable’ on the registration certificate.

Check with the registration authority for the country the vehicle is from to find out if the vehicle is ‘seriously damaged’.

If it is not ‘seriously damaged’, ask them to provide evidence of this.

Partial MSVA

If you have a Certificate of Conformity (CoC), it will say which side of the road and which speedometer units your vehicle is equipped for.

You must modify your vehicle if it is not equipped for use in Great Britain. It will then need a Partial MSVA to check the following items:

  • headlamp dipped beam pattern - this checks the headlamp is suitable for driving on the left
  • speedometer - the speed must be shown in miles per hour (mph) or dual mph and kilometres per hour
  • mirror location - on mopeds fitted with a single mirror, the mirror must be fitted to offside (right) of the vehicle

Find out more about how Partial MSVA works.

Vehicle identification number

Your vehicle needs a vehicle identification number before having an MSVA inspection. Write to the following address if it does not have one.

SA99 1ZZ

Cost of the scheme

You have to pay a fee for DVSA to inspect your vehicle.

Choose a test station

Your vehicle will be inspected by DVSA at one of its approved test stations. You can choose which one as long as it inspects the category of vehicle you want to be tested.

Category Description
B 2-wheeled vehicles
T 3-wheeled vehicles
Q 4-wheeled vehicles
Station Address Categories
Beverley Oldbeck Road, Off Grovehill Road, Beverley, East Yorkshire, HU17 0JW B, T, Q
Bristol Merebank Road, Avonmouth, Bristol, BS11 8AQ B, T, Q
Cardiff (Llantrisant) School Road, Miskin, Pontyclun, Mid Glamorgan, CF72 8YR B, T, Q
Chelmsford Widford Industrial Estate, Chelmsford, CM1 3DR B, Q
Derby Belmore Way, Alvaston, Derby, DE21 7AY B, T, Q
Edinburgh (Livingston) Grange Road, Houston Industrial Estate, Livingston, Edinburgh, West Lothian, EH54 5DE B, T, Q
Exeter Grace Road West, Marsh Barton Trading Estate, Exeter, Devon, EX2 8PU B, T, Q
Gillingham Ambley Road, Gillingham, ME8 0SJ B, T, Q
Kidderminster Worcester Road, Kidderminster, DY11 7RD B, T, Q
Leighton Buzzard Stanbridge Road, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 4QG B, T, Q
London West (Yeading) Cygnet Way, Willow Tree Lane, Yeading, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 9BS T, Q
Manchester (Chadderton) Broadway Business Park, Broadgate, Manchester (Chadderton), Oldham, OL9 9XA B, T, Q
Newcastle-upon-Tyne Sandy Lane, Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE3 5HB B, T, Q
Norwich Jupiter Road, Hellesden, Norwich, NR6 6SS B, T, Q
Southampton (Northam) Unit R Centurion Industrial Estate, Bitterne Road West, Southampton, SO18 1UB B, T, Q

How to apply

Download and fill in the:

Follow the instructions on the form to submit it to DVSA.

What happens next

DVSA will inspect your vehicle at the test station you’ve chosen and issue a Minister’s Approval Certificate (MAC) if it passes. You’ll need this certificate when you register your vehicle.


You can appeal for a re-test if your vehicle fails MSVA. You must appeal within 14 days of the original decision by completing form MSVA17 and returning it to the station used for the original test.

You’ll have to pay the test fee again, which will be refunded if the appeal is successful. Contact DVSA to find out how to do this.

More information

Read the MSVA inspection manual.