Getting vehicle approval

Get vehicle approval to show that your imported vehicle meets environmental and safety regulations. You’ll need proof of approval to register the vehicle.

If your vehicle was first registered or manufactured more than 10 years ago, you might not need approval. Check to see if the vehicle is exempt.

If the vehicle’s not registered in the EU

To get approval for a vehicle that’s not registered in the EU, apply for either:

If the vehicle’s registered in the EU

Get a European Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer to show you have approval for an EU-registered vehicle.

If it’s a left-hand drive vehicle, you’ll also need a certificate of GB conversion Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

If you have a lorry or goods vehicle over 3,500kg, you cannot get a certificate of GB conversion IVA. Apply for IVA instead.

Getting a certificate of GB conversion IVA

Download and fill in the application form for:

There’s a £100 fee. Send your application to the address on the form.

Get help with GB conversion IVA

Contact the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) if you’re unsure whether your vehicle qualifies for GB conversion IVA.

Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA)