Registering an imported vehicle

You must register any vehicle you bring into the UK permanently. You cannot register before you do all of the following:

You also tax the vehicle when you register it with DVLA - there’s a £55 fee.

How to register

Follow the instructions for registering a vehicle to fill in your forms and send supporting documents.

You must also send extra supporting documents for an imported vehicle.

DVLA might ask to inspect the vehicle.

Extra supporting documents for imported vehicles

You must send the following original documents:

  • proof of vehicle approval
  • form V267 (sometimes called the ‘declaration of newness’) if you’re registering a new vehicle
  • evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected, for example the invoice from the supplier
  • the original foreign registration certificate to show when the vehicle was manufactured (you will not get this back)

You need to supply different documents if you are bringing a vehicle back to the UK which has been registered before.

If you do not have the original foreign registration certificate, DVLA might accept other proof of the manufacture date, for example a letter from the manufacturer or a vehicle enthusiast club.

Do not send photocopies or faxed copies.

How long it takes

It can take up to 6 weeks for your registration certificate (V5C) to arrive.

You need the V5C to get number plates made up.