2. Mutual Recognition

A certificate of Mutual Recognition shows that your vehicle is suitable to be driven on UK roads.

You can apply under the Mutual Recognition scheme (also known as the Commission Notice Procedure) if you’re importing a motorcycle, car (right or left-hand drive), light goods vehicle or motorhome that was first registered within the EU.

You’ll need to apply for Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) if you’re importing lorries and goods vehicles over 3,500kg.

Contact the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) if you’re unsure your vehicle qualifies for Mutual Recognition.

Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA)
Telephone: 0300 330 5797
Find out about call charges

How to apply

Download and fill in the application form for your vehicle:

The form asks you to:

  • make a declaration that your vehicle is suitable to drive in Britain, eg the headlight beam dips to the left
  • confirm that you’ve made any alterations needed (eg the speedometer displays miles per hour) and to provide receipts to show you’ve done this

The fee is £100. You can pay by credit or debit card, postal order or cheque (payable to VCA).

Send your form to VCA - the address is on the form.

What happens next

You’ll get a certificate from the VCA if your application is accepted. Give it to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) when you register the vehicle.