Hedgerows and watercourses
If you own land with hedgerows or watercourses, you must do everything you reasonably can to keep green cover (natural vegetation) on land:
- within 2 metres of the centre of a hedgerow, watercourse or field ditch
- within 1 metre of the top of the bank of a watercourse or field ditch
It’s against the law to remove or destroy certain hedgerows without permission from your local planning authority.
You must also make sure you don’t:
- cultivate or apply fertilisers or pesticides on these strips of green cover
- remove hedgerows without written consent from your local authority
- cut or trim hedgerows between 1 March and 31 July
Find more information on hedgerow management and preservation.