Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Further information

What to do if your circumstances change

You, or the person who claims on your behalf, must tell the office that deals with your payments about any changes to your circumstances or personal details. Let them know straight away if:

  • the condition for which you’re getting benefit improves or gets worse
  • you marry, remarry, or form a civil partnership and change your name
  • you change your address
  • you leave the country
  • you go into prison

You must also report these if you receive Unemployability Supplement, which topped up Industrial Disablement Supplement until 1987.

Other benefits you may be able to get

Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA)

You can claim CAA for accidents where your disability is assessed at 100% and you need daily care and attention.

The CAA rate you’re paid is based on an assessment of your needs.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

You can claim £69.90 paid in addition to the CAA rates, if you’re assessed at one of the top 2 rates of CAA and need permanent, constant care and attention.

Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA)

You may get REA if:

  • you can’t do your usual job or other work with similar pay because of an accident or disease caused by work
  • you have a disability or injury which began before 1 October 1990

Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979

Jobcentre Plus may pay you a lump sum if you have one of the following diseases:

  • pneumoconiosis
  • byssinosis
  • diffuse mesothelioma
  • bilateral diffuse pleural thickening
  • primary carcinoma of the lung when accompanied by asbestosis or bilateral diffuse pleural thickening

To get a payment you must meet all the following conditions:

  • your dust-related disease must have been caused by your employment
  • you’re getting Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit for one of the listed diseases
  • you must claim within 12 months of the decision awarding Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • you can’t or haven’t taken civil action because your former employer has stopped trading
  • you haven’t brought a court action or received compensation from an employer in respect of the disease

You may be able to make a claim if you’re the dependant of someone who suffered from a dust-related disease but who has died. A dependant claim must be made within 12 months of the death of the sufferer.

Diffuse mesothelioma payment

You may still be able to get a payment for an asbestos-related illness if you aren’t eligible for compensation under the Pneumoconiosis etc (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979.

You can claim for the ’2008 scheme’ if you came into contact with asbestos:

  • while you were self employed
  • through a family member, for example by washing their clothes

There’s a different payment scheme if you were diagnosed with diffuse mesothelioma on or after 25 July 2012. You can apply for this even if you’ve claimed compensation under the Pneumoconiosis etc (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979.

Effects on other benefits

You can still get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) if you’re claiming:

IIDB will affect the following benefits if you or your partner are claiming them:

It may also affect Council Tax Reduction - contact your local council for more information.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Centres

Barrow IIDB Centre
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2BR

Telephone: 0800 121 8379

Textphone: 0800 169 0314
Find out about call charges

Barnsley IIDB Centre
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 1SY

Telephone: 0800 121 8379

Textphone: 0800 169 0314
Find out about call charges